Jan 21, 2016

Chicken Enchiladas {yum}

This recipe was inspired by a Food Network show from years ago. I came up with this on my own but I wish I could remember the guy that gave me the surprise ingredient idea.


This recipe makes about 14 enchiladas.

Here is what you need:

2) 9x13 Baking Dishes, 1) Medium Mixing Bowl, 1) Skillet.

Ingredients:
4-5 Chicken Breasts, Butter, Onion, Garlic, Green Pepper, Cumin, Red Pepper, Salsa, Flour Tortillas, Cream Cheese, Shredded Cheese, Salted Almonds, Enchilada Sauce and Sour Cream.

Let's begin...
I bake my chicken breasts about 90 minutes before serving dinner. 

Put water, taco seasoning, salt, pepper and a couple of slices of onion in with them while they bake using 1) 9x13 inch baking dish covered in foil. This makes the chicken juice more flavorful for later.

Once they are done set them aside.

Keep your oven heated at 350.

In a skillet on the stove top -

1/2 stick of Butter
1/4 Cup if finely chopped Onion
1 Garlic Clove - pressed
1/2 Green Pepper finely chopped
1/2 tsp. of Cumin

Melt the butter and saute the vegetables until they are just cooked in the skillet (stirring frequently for 8 minutes approx.)

Chop the cooled chicken breasts into cubes at this point while the veggies cook . Save the juice drippings.

Once the veggies are done set this skillet mixture aside.

In a medium mixing bowl -

4 oz Cream Cheese (soften in the microwave on defrost)
3/4 Cup of your favorite Salsa
2 Cups of Mexican Shredded Cheese (we use lots of cheese so I usually have a big bag of a cheddar mix so it is OK to use cheese that isn't Mexican)

Stir in the skillet mixture, chopped chicken and about 3/4 cup of juice from the baked chicken with the above ingredients.
I like to add a bit of Red Pepper.
Now...here is an interesting ingredient that makes this enchilada recipe unique.
2/3 Cup of Chopped Almonds! The salted ones are best.
Use at least 2/3 cup so there is a nutty crunch in each bite.

Stir them into the mixing bowl with all the other ingredients.
Wrap a heaping tablespoon of the mixture into a burrito sized tortilla and place them in a 9x13 baking dish that has been sprayed with non-stick spray.
Roll those babies up nice and tight. 8 should fit in a 9x13 dish. I ended up getting about 14 burritos total so I used a smaller baking dish for the extra 6 and put them in the freezer for another night.

We have a family of 4 so 8 burritos is plenty.

You have the option of using Enchilada Sauce to bake them in or they are even good just rubbed with a little olive oil and topped with cheese at the end.

This time I used a small can of Enchilada Sauce and drizzled it over the enchiladas then topped them with a little handful of shredded cheese.

Cover with foil.

Bake for 30 minutes in the center of your preheated oven at 350.
When they come out of the oven the cheese is all melted and gooey.

I serve them right away with sour cream and avocado (when I have one).
We love any kind of Mexican food.
Enjoy!!!


6 comments :

Kelly said...

I love chicken enchiladas! My husband makes ours in the oven like you do too. I will be sure to pass your recipe on to him to see if he would like to give it a try. I've never heard of adding salted almonds to it. I imagine that is good though. I KNEW that must be the secret ingredient to this recipe!

KUNIs little white castle said...

I love enchiladas but without chicken. Yummmmmmmmyyyyy

Valerie CottageMakingMommy said...

I never would have thought of putting almonds in them. Yum

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

I never in a million years would think to put nuts in my enchilada's, but it sounds so yummy!! I love nuts in just about anything so this is right up muy alley!

KATHY said...

It looks so good!!!

Kathy

Charlotte said...

WOW...sounds so good....can't wait to try your recipe....Thanks for sharing

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...